ModemManager 1.14.0: Can't send sms with some chars

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Jun 9 07:44:47 UTC 2022

Hey

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 9:34 AM Stanke, Scott <Scott.Stanke at digi.com> wrote:

> Hello ModemManager-devel,
>

> Do you know if the following issue is resolved in ModemManager 1.16.0? I
> found the following link that looks like the same issue that we are
> experiencing on our Digi International cellular routers running MM 1.14.0:
>

> https://todo.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-tickets/92
>

> A Digi International customer found that sending an SMS using our cellular
> router running ModemManager 1.14.0 with extended ASCII characters results
> in:
>
> *# error: couldn't send the SMS:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error*
>
> *.Core.InvalidArgs: Cannot prepare SMS to be sent: Cannot generate PDUs:
> Error pr*
>
> *ocessing input text'*
>
> I can reproduce the issue using the following test commands (if I send
> with “text” not including extended ASCII chars, the message is successfully
> sent):
>

> # # mmcli -m 0 \
>
> # > --messaging-create-sms="text='hello world范例',number='+16511234567'"

There are known mmcli limitations, see:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/275

But that one is not completely the same issue. The mmcli interface receives
in the 'text' field of the key-value pair given to --messaging-create-sms,
and there is one simple usecase like needing double-quotes and
single-quotes that isn't properly covered, as in the link above. For that,
the suggestion was to have a new --messaging-create-sms-with-text=FILE that
we could use to feed a given file contents as text input.

The issue you're experiencing, though, is not the same one. I *believe* the
problem could be your locale settings. Can you confirm you're using a UTF-8
locale in your setup? The text you're using in your setup must be UTF-8 so
that mmcli reads it correctly and passes it down to DBus in the correct
format.

/bin/sh: can't create --messaging-create-sms=text='hello
world范例',number='+16511234567':
> Read-only file system

I have no idea what that "Read-only" file system error is, that totally
looks like a problem in your script. Are you by any chance creating a file
in the filesystem with the --messaging-create-sms option contents?? If so,
that would also be an indication that  you're lacking proper UTF-8 locale
either in your environment or in your filesystem. This totally looks like
something unrelated to ModemManager, please check your scripts.

> # Successfully created new SMS: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/6
>
> /bin/sh: Successfully: not found

Another indication that this issue is in your scripts, not in ModemManager
or mmcli.

> # # mmcli -s 6 --send
>
> *# error: couldn't send the SMS:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error*
>
> *.Core.InvalidArgs: Cannot prepare SMS to be sent: Cannot generate PDUs:
> Error pr*
>
> *ocessing input text'*
>
> Thank you for looking at this. We are planning to release cellular router
> FW implementing MM 1.16 as backlog. I hope to provide our customer an
> update that MM 1.16 should fix the issue.

Neither 1.14 nor 1.16 are actively supported, but I don't think your issues
are related to the MM versions anyway :)