PDP settings for LTE only network

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Wed Jun 15 14:20:08 UTC 2022

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> Hey!
>

> > Is there an equivalent setting in the NetworkManager system connection configuration file for -- 3gpp-set-initial-eps-bearer-settings='apn=something' ?
> >

> No, there is no such thing. There's a bit of a grey line between what
> NM should or should not do in this regard. The Initial EPS bearer
> settings are part of the settings required during registration, even
> before the modem gets connected, so NM doesn't really do anything in
> that regard, it doesn't take care of "configuring disconnected
> modems". If anything, a systems-level settings application should take
> care of that configuration, e.g. the GNOME Settings app in a standard
> Linux desktop.
>
> > Is there a similar command or NM setting to set the modem UE Usage Setting to data-centric mode?
> > Equivalent to: AT+QNVFW="/nv/item_files/modem/mmode/ue_usage_setting",01
> >
> > That command came from a Quectel document for AT&T 3G Sunset Guide.
> >

> mmcli has --3gpp-set-eps-ue-mode-operation=ps2 for that, but it will
> only work if the modem supports +CEMODE; not all modems I've found
> support it. And even so, I'm not sure if the CEMODE command would be
> fully equivalent to that change in the settings with QNVFW, maybe ask
> Quectel about that?

Hi Aleksander,

on all Qualcomm firmwares I have seen so far AT+CEMODE only supports
reading the setting but not changing it. The TS 27.007 command
corresponding to the above AT+QNVFW command seems to be AT+CEUS
which typically isn't implemented at all.

However NASSetSystemSelectionPref TLV 0x21 which is already part
of the original Gobi API usually seems to work quite well.

Regards,
Reinhard