ModemManager 1.14.0: Can't send sms with some chars

Stanke, Scott Scott.Stanke at digi.com
Thu Jun 30 20:19:54 UTC 2022

Hi Aleksander,

I created a ticket with our IT team and our email communications appear to be working now.

I understand the command from the Digi router shell: "modem sms-text 16511234567 world范例" runs the following commands:

# # mmcli -m 0 \
 # > --messaging-create-sms="text='hello world范例',number='+16511234567'"
# # mmcli -s 6 --send

My test results, when running the above commands from the shell, shows the "/bin/sh: can't create --messaging-create-sms=text='hello world范例',number='+16511234567': Read-only file system" probably because I do not have the correct permissions when running from the shell. I will ask our Engineering team how to find if this filesystem error is seen when executing "--messaging-create-sms..." after the router shell command: "modem sms-text...".

Please will you confirm the  "mmcli -s 6 --send" command should not result in the following error when "text" includes Chinese characters?

# error: couldn't send the SMS: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error
.Core.InvalidArgs: Cannot prepare SMS to be sent: Cannot generate PDUs: Error pr
ocessing input text'

Your original response indicates that we should not see the "...Cannot generate PDUs..." error, but I want to be sure as my Team is requesting Engineering to provide OS builds addressing: "proper UTF-8 locale
either in the environment or in the filesystem".

Thank you.

-Scott