openwrt netifd integration improvements with new dispatcher scripts

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Tue Mar 29 14:44:42 UTC 2022

On 3/29/22 09:29, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The current openwrt integration suffered from a serious problem:
> network initiated disconnections were properly detected by MM but
> never reported to netifd. Due to this, the modem may end up in
> registered state while netifd thinks it is still connected.
>
> I reported about this issue here: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/8368
>
> After discussing the problem with one of the openwrt maintainers, they
> suggested a way to report the disconnection of the interface to
> netifd. In order to run the operations they suggested, I've added
> support for connection status dispatch scripts in ModemManager. These
> are scripts that distributions or users could install, equivalent to
> what we do with the FCC unlock scripts, and which are run whenever a
> bearer gets connected or disconnected.

Oh, good. We have ended up with extensive logic to handle reconnections/reset
logic and whatnot with a monitoring script; it's clearly not perfect, but it
does much of what's needed, but it is now overly complex.

Improving this logic at the lower layer will likely be a significant reliability
improvement. I will try and test this soon.