Lenovo T99W175 / Foxconn SDX55 update on LVFS breaks FCC unlock

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon May 9 20:32:09 UTC 2022

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel <thilo at ginkel.com> writes:

> Hello again,
>
> quick update if anyone wants to have a look before I find time to do so:
> The unlock is most probably in SIMService.exe, which contains the magic
> string "KHOIHGIUCCHHII" that is checked for in DMI and also used by the
> unlocking Snap...

I believe you're right.  Tried to compare the 4 versions I found
available for the X1 Nano, and note that the 3 most recent ones have a
GobiDLL::SetRadioFlagNew reference:

bjorn at miraculix:/tmp$ strings  /home/bjorn/.wine/fake_windows/DRIVERS/WIN/QCSDX55/20220905.22073777/Src/QUD_GNSS/SIMService/SIMService.exe|grep SetRadioFlag
Get mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag API address fail.
GobiDLL::SetRadioFlag
%s, %d: mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag success.
%s, %d: mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag fail.Error:%d
GobiDLL::SetRadioFlagNew

Which does not exist in the oldest version:

bjorn at miraculix:/tmp$ strings  /home/bjorn/.wine/fake_windows/DRIVERS/WIN/QCSDX55/20211105.10364130/Src/QUD_GNSS/SIMService/SIMService.exe|grep SetRadioFlag
Get mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag API address fail.
GobiDLL::SetRadioFlag
%s, %d: mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag success.
%s, %d: mpFnDMSSetRadioFlag fail.Error:%d

So maybe look into that function?

There also seems to be a lot of SAR related magic there. Won't affect
the CE declaration of conformity AFAIK.

There are also references to a number of low level QMI requests.   Some
of these look quite interesting for other purposes as well.  Like the
DMS{S,G}etEFSNVValue - I guess that's generally useful.

UIMEventRegistration
UIMGetCardStatus
UIMReadTransparent
DMSSetPCPlatformSystemID