ModemManager and d-bus permissions in OpenWrt

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Mon Nov 28 10:31:17 UTC 2022

Hey!

> This is really an OpenWrt question, but I wanted to understand the specifics
> with MM.  We're undergoing a security review, and it's been pointed out that
> d-bus runs as non-root. I've created a new "dbus" user and group like ubus
> has and have d-bus run under it as per its config file.

You mean in your openwrt setup, d-bus is running as non-root, right?
Or is it a generic openwrt thing? I truly don't know what's the
default.

> Everything seems OK with MM, and indeed I think this is the only user of
> it under my OpenWrt setup, hence the question here.
>
> Is this likely to break anything?

If MM is the only user of the DBus system bus you're probably fine.
I'd assume that the dbus-daemon may require extra privileges if e.g.
it needs to do DBus activation of services, but that is not the case
in your setup.