symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/ModemManager: undefined symbol: mm_location_3gpp_set_mobile_country_code after build

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:33:04 UTC 2022

Hello,

I have been using MM 1.16.6 successfully for the last year for a project, and recently I needed to install it on a new server, but discovered that version
1.16 is no longer available in Ubuntu apt repositories, only 1.12 and 1.18 are available. Unfortunately, 1.12 doesn’t work for me, and 1.18 has this bug that I
reported that makes it unstable for my project:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/574

I have been trying to get a modemanager 1.16 .deb file to install on my Ubuntu 20.04 system, but was not able to find one online, so I decided to compile from source.

I have ran the following, as per this build guide: https://modemmanager.org/docs/modemmanager/building/building-autotools/
>   $ wget https://www.freedesktop.org/software/ModemManager/ModemManager-1.16.6.tar.xz
>   $ tar -Jxvf ModemManager-1.16.6.tar.xz
>   $ cd ModemManager-1.16.6
>   $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-qmi --with-mbim --with-suspend-resume=systemd
>   $ make

but systemd fails to load the service, and if I try manually I get this:
> $ /usr/sbin/ModemManager
> /usr/sbin/ModemManager: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/ModemManager: undefined symbol: mm_location_3gpp_set_mobile_country_code

I have also tried removing these flags:
> --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

before compiling but I get the same error when executing.

How can I resolve this issue or does someone know where can I find a deb file?

Thanks,
Roee