Current Debian unstable ModemManager package crashes on startup, probing EM7455

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Wed Sep 7 13:00:09 UTC 2022

Hey,

> (ModemManager:223904): GLib-CRITICAL **: 09:22:43.830: g_regex_match_full: assertion 'regex != NULL' failed
> corrupted double-linked list

The issue is triggered by the pcre1->pcre2 upgrade in glib 2.73.2, see:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/621

The actual error is a bug in a ModemManager regex expression that
wasn´t caught by pcre1 but is caught by pcre2:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/commit/79a5a4eed2189ea87d25cbe00bc824a2572cad66

This one, along with some other related fixes in tests also failing
with the newer glib, have been backported to the 1.18 branch.
I'll try to provide a new 1.18.12 release in the coming days.