ModemManager fails to utilize Modem, when it is not ready yet

Christian Schneider cschneider at radiodata.biz
Tue Apr 4 15:41:47 UTC 2023

Hi, I have a SIMCOM_SIM7600E-H modem.

When the Modem is freshly "activated" (eg. after powering on the whole
device, toggling the MPCIE reset pin, unplugging/plugging the MPCIE
card), ModemManager is not able to utilize the modem, it ends in state
   Status   |             state: failed
            |     failed reason: sim-missing
            |       power state: on

at this point, when I restart ModemManager (I don't do anything with the
modem itself), it works, the modem is usable, calls, sms, internet
connection work.

I've looked at the debug output of ModemManager and found this: In the
"bad" case, some of the AT commands fail, where the final straw for
ModemManager seems to be "AT+CPIN?" that is answered with "+CME ERROR:
10" which is interpreted as "SIM not inserted" by ModemManager.
In the "good" case the answer to "AT+CPIN?" is "+CPIN: READY" and
ModemManager is happy.

Using the AT interface manually, I can notice this behavior:
Directly after starting the modem, the answer to "AT+CPIN?" is "+CME
ERROR: 10", only after some 30 seconds, the answer is "+CPIN: READY"
I don't now the standards good enough, to judge if such behavior is
allowed, but I'm pretty sure, that this behavior is the problem for
ModemManager. When the answer to "AT+CPIN?" is "+CME ERROR: 10" once, it
marks the modem as failed without retrying.

I attach a complete log of ModemManager Debug output. ModemManager
starts, when the device is "hot", eg running for a while, so everything
is working. When the device is fully recoginzed by ModemManager, I
toggle the Reset pin of the modem which causes the restart of the modem,
the device disappeares from ModemManager, and after a while, when the
/dev/ttyUSBx devices appear again, ModemManager starts talking to the
modem, but get's errors, as it is too "early".

As I said, I don't know, if this behavior of the modem is acceptable
from the standard. Can someone comment about the behavior of the modem?
Should I get to the manufacturer, and tell them, they do something wrong
(and hope they fix it) or should ModemManager handle such a situation,
eg by retrying?

BR, Christian

RADIODATA GmbH
Newtonstr. 18
12489 Berlin
Germany

Homepage:              www.radiodata.biz

USt_IdNr.:             DE 195663499
WEEE-Reg.-Nr.:         DE 63967380

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht:       Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB  Nr.: 67865
Geschäftsführer:       Hans-Joachim Langermann, Malte Langermann