Disabling 2G and null-ciphered connections

Tom Isaacson tom.isaacson at teknique.com
Sun Aug 13 19:06:25 UTC 2023

I just came across this article:
https://security.googleblog.com/2023/08/android-14-introduces-first-of-its-kind.html

When I do "mmcli --modem=0" I can see the modes:
  Modes    |              supported: allowed: 2g; preferred: none
           |                         allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                         allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                         allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: 3g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: 2g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 4g; preferred: 4g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 4g; preferred: 2g
           |                         allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 4g
           |                         allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 3g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: 4g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: 3g
           |                         allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: 2g
           |                current: allowed: 2g, 3g, 4g; preferred: 4g

But I can't figure out how to change them to disable 2G. Can I do this
via a NetworkManager profile?

What about disabling support for null-ciphered connections? Is that supported?

Thanks.

--
Tom Isaacson