mbim, signal quality atds_signal_query vs. signal_state_query

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 17:29:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-01-02 at 13:40 +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > quite a while ago, I reported inconsistencies with Telit LE910Cx
> > signal quality query when using mbim (see
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/modemmanager-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg06990.html
> > ). Now I had to get back to this issue, since our customers heavily
> > complain about the bad signal quality shown (although the
> > connection is good and fast).
> >
> > While trying to find a solution I stumbled across the
> > atds_signal_query message and experimentally used it instead the
> > signal_state_query mbim message. The result is, that the signal
> > quality is now much higher and matches what we see when not using
> > mbim (and matches what we see on the same location using other LTE
> > modems).
> >
> > So my questions are:
> >
> > Is there any documentation about the atds_signal_query command? I
> > did not find any.
>
> ATDS is an AT&T specific extension that most manufacturers implement.
> I truly don't recall where I found it, but it is likely somewhere out
> there.

I originally got it from the Wireshark MBIM dissector:

https://github.com/freedesktop/libmbim/commit/1f86135579311bb22d391bde39024f8fb1d014b8

which was based on "AT&T Windows 8 Extended API Requirements" which is
no longer easily available (that I can find).

https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/commit/6c0972bcd6e76bb4e22f729463ccfa5dad84eaff

I don't think ATDS really advanced much so standard MBIM is probably a
better bet these days.

Dan