qmicli-firmware-update failure on a batch of EM7455

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Nov 15 08:19:27 UTC 2023

Aleksander Morgado <aleksandermj at chromium.org> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 9:49 AM Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>>
>> Amol Lad <Amol.Lad at 4rf.com> writes:
>>
>> > It seems the failure is occurring at the last chunk (#61). The status returned in "134". Please advise if any idea what this error status means?
>> >
>> > Bjørn, I saw one of your post in the mailing list regarding qmi-firmware-update failure? Any idea what is this error?
>>
>> No idea.  AFAIR, our knowledge is based on API docs made public in the
>> stone age.
>
> What API docs?! Did I miss those? I recall we reverse-engineered many
> usb captures from firmware upgrades happening in Windows... :D

Don't think you've missed them.  I was referring to the status codes,
where I believe our only(?) source is this:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/blob/main/gobi-api/GobiAPI_1.0.40/Core/QDLEnum.h

Sorry for being a bit imprecise. I don't know of any complete protocol
docs either.  The protocol was reverse-engineered based on USB snooping
like you say. But that method will only document success codes, for
obvious reasons.

I believe we wouldn't have known any error codes unless we had that Gobi
API header.  And we're still blank if the error code isn't documented
there.

Bjørn