Enable fails for QUALCOMM modem with MM 1.20.4

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Mon Jun 17 20:47:41 UTC 2024

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 03:52:08PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-06-16 17:00, Dylan Van Assche wrote:
> > It would be useful to mention the name of the modem and manufacturer
> > as a lot of modems identify themselves as QUALCOMM INCORPORATED, even
> > though they are made by other manufacturers.
>
> It is an USB dongle, saying "Vodafone Mobile Connect" and
> "ZTE Corporation". I don't have more information.
>
> > The modem only supports 2G and 3G, does your carrier still support it
> > as in some countries they are turning off 2G/3G and only allow 4G.
>
> TTBOMK, 3G does not exist anymore here, but 2G does.
> My use case is SMS only, neither data nor voice, btw.

Hi Martin,

if your use case is SMS only you could try to make ModemManager ignore the
QMI port similar to what is done in 77-mm-zte-port-types.rules for another
ZTE device and see if it gets you any further.

>From a quick look at src/mm-broadband-modem-qmi.c ModemManager now seems to
use DMSSetEventReport to enable indications for OperatingMode which is not
supported by older devices.

Huawei E392:
DMSSetEventReport 3000 14010001
+OK DMSSetEventReport 02040000000000

TP-Link MA260:
DMSSetEventReport 3000 14010001
-ERR DMSSetEventReport error 1017 02040001001100

Regards,
Reinhard