Deprecating 3GPP2 (CDMA/EVDO) and POTS

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Wed Mar 27 12:08:15 UTC 2024

Hey!

I think it is time to deprecate all 3GPP2 related implementations,
which would include fully removing the Modem.Cdma interface and the
support for CDMA/EVDO-only devices. Most (all?) networks have already
phased out 3GPP2 based network technologies, and so there is really no
point in maintaining this unused logic in ModemManager.
 * The Modem.Cdma interface is a feature interface that is only
exposed if the modem supported 3GPP2 technologies, so we can just stop
exposing it. In order not to break ABI, the corresponding methods in
libmm-glib would be moved to the compat layer and basically make them
no-ops.
 * 3GPP2-only plugins would also be removed.

Regarding POTS (Plain Old Telephony System), we never really supported
any of the dial-up modems properly as we focused exclusively in mobile
broadband devices. In this case, I think it makes sense to state that
we don't and won't support POTS devices, instead of still saying in
multiple places that we may support them in the future.

Is anyone aware of any issue if we do this?
Comments welcome!