[MPRIS] program specific interface

mirsal mirsal at mirsal.fr
Fri Oct 26 11:07:14 PDT 2012

Hello Kevin :)

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 11:14 -0400, Kevin Anthony wrote:
> I was thinking.  Some program's implement secondary mpris interfaces to
> allow for options not allowed within the confines of the mrpis standard.

Yes, exposing extended functionality through additional interfaces on
the mpris player object is a completely valid use case IMO.

> What I was thinking was, two HasTracklist and SupportedMimeSchems.
> the frist would be like HasOtherInterface
> the other would return an object that defines the interface, or the
> introspection of the interface.

Well, unless there is a strong case against using dbus introspection
(which is the correct discovery mechanism for dbus interfaces) I'd say
it does not belong to mpris.

For instance, the case against using dbus introspection for the
tracklist interface was that its availability may change at runtime
while dbus does not provide a way to notify clients of changes in
introspection data.

Best regards !

--
mirsal