[MPRIS] [RFC] CanControlvolume property

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Mon Mar 5 14:58:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

during my work on KDE Connect [1] I came across multiple players that do
not support setting the volume (e.g. Spotify) or do not have a concept
of volume at all (e.g. Gwenview [2] which is being patched with MPRIS
support [3]). As far as I understand there is no way for the player to
signal that controlling the volume is unsupported. A canControlVolume
property together with a canControlVolumeChanged signal would enable UIs
to gracefully handle players that do not support it by disabling volume
sliders when appropriate. This would lead to better user experience
because otherwise the controller or player appears broken.

Best regards

Nicolas Fella

[1] https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect

[2] https://userbase.kde.org/Gwenview