Web browsing the Mobile broadband provider info database

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 07:45:05 UTC 2023

On Sun, 2023-12-17 at 19:34 +0100, Mikel Olasagasti Uranga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 5:03 PM Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Aleksander,
> > On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 09:51:53PM +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> > > Hey Thomas and NM community,
> > >
> > > I recently found online the browsable version of the m-b-p-i
> > > database,
> > > written by Mikel Olasagasti (also in CC):
> > > https://mobilebroadbandprovider.info
> > >
> > > I asked him whether it would be fine to transition this site to
> > > something that we could automatically publish via CI, e.g. as we
> > > do
> > > with the NM and MM websites, using hugo and such. He quickly
> > > prepared
> > > some tools to do this and published an example site at
> > > http://mobile.olasagasti.info/ It is not as "pretty" as the
> > > original
> > > PHP based one yet, but I think it would be something very nice to
> > > publish by the project itself, e.g. updated on every git commit.
>
> It has zero CSS right now, so it should be easy to make something
> better than the current "mvp".
>
> > > Does the GNOME gitlab have the same infrastructure to publish
> > > this
> > > kind of static pages generated via CI rules? Could we set this up
> > > in
> > > the GNOME gitlab instance?
> >
> > We could use gitlab pages as with documentation. Do we have the
> > sources
> > for the site generation somewhere?
>
> https://github.com/mikelolasagasti/mobile-ng

FWIW, I also think that we should create a gitlab pages for MBPI so
that they website is maintained in git(lab), right beside the database.

For gitlab.freedesktop.org that is clearly easy to do, as we have that
for ModemManager and NetworkManager. I expect that will work similarly
with gitlab.gnome.org, but I am not familiar with this.

I think freedesktop.org would be the better place than GNOME.org, so
that it can be beside ModemManager. However, moving the project is
cumbersome (update all documentation), so I would avoid it.

Thomas