[Networkmanager] Howto add 802-1x settings for all new ethernet connections

Till Maas till at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 09:21:10 UTC 2023

Am Mo., 13. Feb. 2023 um 08:44 Uhr schrieb Andrei Borzenkov <
arvidjaar at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 10:20 AM Till Maas <till at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > Am So., 12. Feb. 2023 um 21:20 Uhr schrieb Thomas Haller <
> thaller at redhat.com>:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> you can disable that with "[main].no-auto-default=*" in
> >> NetworkManager.conf. Of course, the the user plugs in a new ethernet
> >> device and NetworkManager isn't doing anything automatically. Whether
> >> that is more desirable is unclear.
> >

> > It seems to me that having NM ship a default profile with
> "connection.multi-connect=multiple" that contains the settings that the
> automatically created profile simplifies the configuration and makes the
> behavior accessible via the API and reduces the need to configure this with
> the NetworkManager-config-server subpackage. What would be the downside of
> removing the auto-default behavior?
> >

> I am not aware of the possibility to match only wired interfaces (or
> for that matter any other kind of interfaces) in connection profiles.
> Auto-default is only done for wired interfaces. If I am wrong and such
> a possibility exists, it would certainly be preferable to any hard
> coded behavior.

Currently, the matching is based on the type, so I guess the default
profile would be an ethernet type. It would be better IMHO to have this
also as part of the match setting, so a generic profile (which need to
become usable again), can match a wired interface.

Cheers
Till

--
Till Maas
He/His/Him

Red Hat GmbH, https://www.redhat.com/de/global/dach, Registered seat:
Werner von Siemens Ring 12, 85630 Grasbrunn, Germany
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen/Munich, HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Ryan Barnhart, Charles Cachera, Michael O'Neill, Amy
Ross