[Networkmanager] Can public/trusted network setting return to UI?

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 20 20:28:05 UTC 2023

Hello!

I am old enough to remember there were once specification for each
connection, into which type of network it belongs. I kind of like it and
it would make sense to me if it returned into configuration not only
from command line.

There is still connection.zone, but at least UI from GNOME does not
allow editing it from the GUI applet.

Why do I want it?

Basically I have two different approaches for to network I connect:

- public network. Conferences, hotels, café or train. Usually all I want
is internet connectivity.  I want my privacy protection as strong as it
can be. DNS over TLS if possible, no avahi, no services open to network.

- trusted network. My home, work, or networks of my friends or
relatives. I may want to interact with other devices on this network.
That might be smart TV for sharing photos or choosing movie, transfer of
files, printer to print on. I want Avahi to discover services and
publish my machines name. I do not care about DNS to be encrypted too
much, more important is every name has to work. Privacy is reduced to
simplify identification of devices.

Is there a reason why nothing similar is offered now? With my avahi
maintainer hat on, I had to say it does not have runtime reconfiguration
yet. For me, having at least connection.zone like select box in UI for
connection to networks would be great. Is there some reasoning why it
has disappeared?

Cheers,
Petr

--