[Networkmanager] Networkmanager and WireGuard

Beniamino Galvani bgalvani at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 15:33:17 UTC 2023

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 03:53:20PM +0200, Petric Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have imported a client config. The procedure was to place the wireguard
> client config as /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
>
> Then i did
>   nmcli connection import type wireguard file /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
>
> This worked so far and the connection was immediately established with the
> remote system.
>
> After import i wanted to rename the connection using the nm applet (Plasma)
> from wg0 to something else. The reason was to get a speaking name to identify
> the connection like it was possible for other VPNs like OpenVPN.
>
> But this fails. It tells something like "save failed because of invalid name".
>
> Any hints ?

Hi,

from what I see, plasma-networkmanager uses the "Connection name" also
as the interface name and so there are some extra restrictions on the
name.

It doesn't seem possible to have different interface and connection
names; this is a limitation in plasma-networkmanager because
NetworkManager allows that. Please file a bug on the KDE issue
tracker.

Beniamino