RedHat /Implicit/default connection(s)

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Fri Apr 26 10:26:20 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Fri, 2024-04-26 at 12:12 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:

> On 4/26/24 10:14, Thomas Haller wrote:
>
> > Profiles always exist on disk. See `nmcli -f all connections`. See
> > also
> > /{usr/lib,run}/NetworkManager/system-connections
>
> Hello, thanks for your reply. I didn't know that I (wrongfully)
> thought
> some connections could be transient in ram only (until one decide to
> save them on disk).

/run is a tmpfs, so that is "in ram only".

Except,
- you also them like regular files on disk
- they survive a service restart (but not a reboot)

> You're correct: Wired comes from initrd and System enp33s0f0 comes
> from
> network-scripts/ifcfg-enp33s0f0. And I indeed confued Wired with
> Wired #n.
>
> Now I have to understand what created this file as I don't see it
> neither in the image I boot.
>
> Could it be the following scenario :
>
> NM manages anything that is not explicitly set unmanaged

that's true, by default all devices are managed. Of course, you could
invert that with `[device].managed=0` in NetworkManager.conf.

If a device is unmanaged, you see "unmanaged" state in `nmcli device`.
In that case, NM should not do anything whatsoever with this device.

> and without any
> initial profile (neither in network-scripts nor system-connections)
> uses
> its internal dhclient-like component and creates this ifcf-enp33s0f0
> ?

I don't think that NM automatically would create such an ifcfg file. It
would then be called "ifcf-Wired connection 1".

> Sorry for those naive basic questions I just never asked myself
> although
> I did dig deep into some other sides of NetworkManager...
>
> Note than at this stage I'm not 100% sure my provisionning software
> don't create this in some postbootscript but I doubt it

Check the syslog/journal. NetworkManager should log when it creates a
profile. If the profile exists before NetworkManager starts, then you
know something else create it. Possibly enable `level=TRACE`. See
DEBUGGING in `man NetworkManager`.

Thomas