Deprecating Autotools as a way to build NetworkManager

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Wed May 15 15:34:11 UTC 2024

Am 09.05.24 um 16:52 schrieb Ján Václav:
> With this email, I would like to announce the plan to drop autotools
> as a way to build NetworkManager from source.
>
> - Current state
> NetworkManager currently supports both Autotools and meson. Autotools
> always existed as the primary way to build it, while meson was
> introduced in 2017 with the intention that it would eventually replace
> autotools. Currently both build systems have mostly the same
> functionality and can be used interchangeably.
>
> - Why?
> The motivation behind this is that meson is a much more modern build
> system which is also faster and more descriptive. On the other hand,
> Autotools is complicated and hard to use in comparison. Dropping
> Autotools also means that we can reduce duplication in terms of
> building NM and unify the way all contributors build it.
>
> - Plan
> The current plan is to continue to support Autotools for the next
> major release (1.48 - final release in about a month) but require the
> user to pass an argument when using it, to acknowledge that it will be
> dropped soon, and drop it when beginning the next development cycle
> (1.49+).
>
> - What you need to do
> If you are currently using Autotools to build NetworkManager and want
> some guidance on how to configure it to build NetworkManager, see the
> CONTRIBUTING.md file within the repository:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md

Thanks for the heads-up.
I've switched the Debian package over to meson with the latest upload
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1529362/accepted-network-manager-14790-2-source-into-experimental/

https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team/network-manager/-/compare/3e2afe7ecbca2ef58a7aaca16d2192699ab2ce36...8b8525beb835e65d924f04fadf5e7f0430f09d02?from_project_id=8532&straight=false

Looks ok so far:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=network-manager&suite=experimental