[Nice] a Farsight 2 nice transmitter, a git repo and various related thougths

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi.denis-courmont at nokia.com
Sun Apr 27 23:21:59 PDT 2008

Le Sunday 27 April 2008 00:13:40 ext Olivier Crête, vous avez écrit :
> First, I imported nice into git. Darcs wouldn't let me push a
> no-conflicting branch. I've had enough, darcs is dead to me.
> Its at http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/tester/nice.git;a=summary
> (master is the darcs master, kai's and kakaroto's branch are imported
> as-is and my changes are on the nice-tester branch).

Ok.

(...)
> The various functions that return lists of candidates do shallow copies,
> making it hard to use in a multi-threaded context. They should make real
> copies. Same for the function that gets the ufrag/password.

Yep. Or use a statically sized buffer in the struct, if it's small enough.

> I made the default buffer larger (64k), because they are used to receive
> data UDP packets and we don't want them to be truncated. Ideally, we'd
> just allocate the memory on demand (that's what all the other gstreamer
> sources do anyway).

Hmm well. I remember doing that a few months back on another RTP-receiving
software, and then people complained that I was allocating to much memory.

Also, *in theory*, UDP jumbo-datagrams can exceed 64k, yet we cannot allocate
a 2 gigabyte buffer. Better read the MTU from an appropriately connect()'d
UDP socket, IMHO.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont