[Nice] Android: gstreamer + libnice

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 10:24:58 PST 2010

Hi,

Nice to see the libnice use expanding.
Libnice will probably build on android without any problems, if you have
any issues, please report them so I can get them fixed.
The only 'application' I know which uses nicesrc/nicesink is farsight2.
You can have a look at the nice transmitter for farsight and see how it
works, I don't think it's too complicated. You can view the libnice
documentation to understand how to use libnice itself.

How nicesrc/nicesink work is that you give them the NiceAgent you
created and they'll take care of the rest. You'll also need to create a
thread for the NiceAgent's mainloop (needed for
timers/retransmissions/etc..) So the way to do it would be to :
1 - create a thread
2 - create a mainloop/maincontext in that thread
3 - create a NiceAgent with the thread's maincontext as argument to
nice_agent_new
4 - create a nicesrc and give it the NiceAgent you created
5 - create a nicesink and give it the NiceAgent you created
6 - run the mainloop

You can also skip the steps 1 and 2 if you already have a mainloop in
your application (ie, if you're not writing a mainloop-free library) and
create the NiceAgent with your application's mainloop ('NULL' for the
default mainloop)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Youness.