[Nice] Turn server recommendations

John Selbie jselbie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:49:15 PDT 2013

I've been evaluating various TURN server implementations to be used with a
client code based on ICE.  Here's the list I have so far

1. rfc5766-turn-server - http://code.google.com/p/rfc5766-turn-server/

2. TurnServer - http://turnserver.sourceforge.net

3. restund - http://www.creytiv.com/restund.html

4. ReTurn - http://www.resiprocate.org/ReTurn_Overview

I've experiment with the first two with mixed success with regards to
reliability.  About to investigate the others.

Does anyone have a specific success story (or bad story) about any of the
above implementations?

Does anyone have a recommendation with regards to another one on the list?
Commercial (pay-for) solutions are also of interest.

One requirement I likely do have. The server must run on an Amazon EC2
instance. Since Amazon EC2 instances run "behind a NAT", the TURN server
itself must be configurable to allow it's own public IP to be specified.
(Such that allocation responses will contain the correct public IP, not the
NAT address).    #1 above supports this.  #2 doesn't (although I hacked it
to work).