[Nice] New SDP parsing API

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 17:06:17 PST 2013

On 02/06/2013 07:53 PM, Bryce Allen wrote:
> Thanks I like the layered sdp generate/parse calls! We may be able to
> leverage them for our GridFTP extension that passes candidates over the
> ftp control channels, instead of inventing our own format.
Cool! I'm glad you like the API!

> Using sdp-example, I was disappointed that the raw SDP wasn't printed
> initially, just the base64 encode. It did get printed after pasting to
> the other end, but it played strangely with my expectation because I
> was curious what the SDP looked like and I wasn't planning on running
> two copies and doing the full negotiation. I'd prefer if it printed
> SDP on the send end also, although the user might be confused
> and copy/paste that instead of the encoded data. Even better
> if it doesn't use base64 at all, but handling the multi-line data is
> more work and it's more fragile to copy/paste. I guess I'm being silly
> to analyze a simple example this much; probably time to go home :).
haha! I actually just had a script file to transform the base64 when I was testing :
echo $1 | base64 -d -
I understand what you mean, but yes, I didn't want to put it there because I
didn't want people to get confused, or copy/paste the wrong thing.. and I liked
the feeling of the base64 as being "your unique identifier" kind of thing.
Also, I thought of base64 when I was trying to come up with a way of showing the
multiline sdp, whether or not to use a single dot on a line to signify that it's
done, or an empty line, what would happen if someone pressed enter by mistake,
or if they didn't see the dot, etc.. it was just too complicated and not worth
it. Mostly, I didn't want to make a 'simple example about libnice' into a
complex string parsing example... base64 adds a single line of code, so it's
overall better.
As for showing the SDP..it's an example, should be easy enough to edit it to
make it print it if you're curious about that stuff :p But I didn't notice it
was printing the remote sdp when it gets set.. that was a debug line that I
forgot to remove, I will remove it now.. although I know it has the opposite
effect of what you were saying :p

Thanks
Youness.