[Nice] Compilation of libnice code

Daniel Lobo dlobo at student.dei.uc.pt
Mon Feb 18 04:54:01 PST 2013

Hello again :)

I got pkg-config to work with libnice under Eclipse in Windows. Starting
with the hardest part:

Like you said, pkg-config needs libnice to build a nice.pc file. This
should be located in "libnice/nice". In my build, though, there was only
a nice.pc.in file with what I guess are placeholders for the real thing.
Therefore, I created nice.pc manually (based on the final nice.pc file
in Linux).

IMPORTANT:
1. My folder for libnice is c:/app/libnice. Modify this path according
to your install.
2. The several built dlls were located in
libnice/win32/vs9/libnice/bin/Win32_Release, as I used Visual Studio.
Modify this path according to the way you compiled the libraries.
3. There might be some missing include paths. This worked for my
examples, but unfortunately I have no way of knowing if this is enough.
4. The version numbers were copied from the Linux file :p

The nice.pc file is between [start] and [end]:

[start]
prefix=c:/app/libnice
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/win32/vs9/libnice/bin/Win32_Release
includedir=${prefix}

Name: libnice
Requires: glib-2.0 >= 2.10.0
Version: 0.1.2.1
Libs: -L${libdir} -lnice -pthread -lgthread-2.0 -lintl -lgio-2.0
-lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0
Cflags: -pthread -I${prefix}/glib/include/glib-2.0
-I${prefix}/glib/include/ -I${includedir} -I${includedir}/nice
-I${includedir}/agent
[end]

Now, instructions for pkg-config in Windows and Eclipse (at least this
is what I did):

1. download the pre-compiled pkg-config from:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies/pkg-config_0.26-1_win32.zip

2. extract it (in my case to c:/app/pkg-config)

3. install the pkg-config plugin in Eclipse
     - "Help -> Install New Software..."
     - "Work with":
http://petrituononen.com/pkg-config-support-for-eclipse-cdt/update
     - select and install the plugin

4. configure pkg-config
     - go to project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Pkg-config tab
     - select "Advanced..." on the right
     - set the path for the pkg-config executable
     (in my case, C:\app\pkg-config\bin\pkg-config.exe)
     - select "Append to (PKG_CONFIG_PATH)"
     - add the "libnice/glib/lib/pkgconfig" and "libnice/nice" folders
using "New..."
     - press "OK"

5. a list of checkboxes should appear, so select "nice" and now the
includes and libraries of your project should be set.

This should work, as long as I didn't skip any steps in the explanation :)

If you don't use Eclipse, the usual way to use pkg-config in Windows
should be to set an environment variable called "PKG_CONFIG_PATH" with
both "libnice/glib/lib/pkgconfig" and "libnice/nice" paths. In fact,
Eclipse was supposed to see this variable, but in my case it didn't, so
I added both manually, as seen before.

- Daniel