[Nice] Using libnice address candidates with normal C sockets

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 14:39:26 PDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late response.

You can't use libnice to only do the discovery of your ports then use normal
sockets for it. ICE stands for "Interactive Connectivity Establishment", where
the important term here is "Interactive". The way libnice works is by not only
gathering the potential candidates for the peers but also by making sure the
connection is established correctly by sending connectivity checks that must be
authenticated (because a router might redirect the data on the port to a
different computer on the same network for example). Also, there is the use case
where you can't connect to the other peer because one of you is using a symetric
NAT. In that case, libnice has an algorithm to counter it by dynamically
creating new candidates during the connectivity establishment, which means that
doing the candidate discovery and just using the ports will not work in such a
case. If you want to implement something similar in your own code, then don't
forget that ICE is a specification of 117 pages (See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5245 ) and that all of that is pretty much needed
to ensure proper connectivity establishment.
If you have any questions on how to use libnice or how it works, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Youness.