[libnice] libnice license

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 00:30:55 PST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, 2014-12-16 at 15:03 +1100, Scott Richmond wrote:

> I'm struggling to fully understand the licenses applied to this
> project (I've not explored using OSS in a commercial application
> before). Is it possible to use libnice in a closed-source commercial
> application without modification under the current licenses?

Yes, it is. libnice is dual-licenced under MPLv1.1 and LGPLv2.1, both of
which allow use of its code with proprietary components. You must make
available copies of the source code of libnice (including any of your
own modifications) when you distribute your proprietary project, but do
not need to make your proprietary code available. You may choose to drop
one of the two licences from libnice when you integrate it, if you wish.

Since I’m not a lawyer, I’m less sure of the situation regarding patents
and trademarks; you will need to look into that. I don’t think there is
anything bad involved.

Philip