[libnice] Pseudotcp performance (with focus on Windows)

Radosław Kołodziejczyk radek.kolodziejczyk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 01:36:03 PDT 2014

Hello again,

We moved forward a bit and digged in search for where the hiccups occur. It
seems that the data transfer is actually quite fast and fluent, BUT every
so often (by that I mean too often) there is a huge gap between recv
callbacks from agent. Exactly 4s gaps. This totally kills the transfer rate
as you might imagine. Exactly 4s seemed to be "too perfect" to be
accidental, so after a quick grep I found this:

// If there are no pending clocks, wake up every 4 seconds
#define DEFAULT_TIMEOUT 4000

And sure - tinkering with this value provided different transfer
speeds (sometimes much, much higher - almost on par with tcp). Of
course changing this default timeout should not be a solution. So my
question is - what may cause a scenario when this timeout is reached
really frequently and do you have any idea how to improve to avoid it?

Thanks for your time. Kind regards,

Radosław Kołodziejczyk.