[libnice] ICE with a non SIP environment

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 01:38:03 PST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, 2014-11-02 at 18:57 +0100, fb111 at web.de wrote:
> We plan to use ICE in a NON SIP environment. Can someone recommend a
> registrar/ directory server that can be used to store actual IP/ port
> addresses for establishing ICE connections? Thanks! Frank

I don’t know of any stand-alone ICE signalling servers to do the
out-of-band exchange of candidates; you will probably have to write that
yourself. If you’re using WebRTC, there are a number of existing WebRTC
signalling servers, but they tend to come bundled with various other
bits of functionality which you may or may not want.

You will also need TURN and STUN servers. You can generally use publicly
available STUN servers[1] without running your own. TURN servers have
much higher bandwidth requirements so there are no public ones and you
will have to run your own. Here are a couple I’ve used briefly before:
 • https://code.google.com/p/coturn/http://turnserver.sourceforge.net/

Philip

[1]: https://gist.github.com/zziuni/3741933