[libnice] Sending packets uses a static, global lock?

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:45:35 UTC 2016

Hi all,

we've been working on some stress tests of our Janus WebRTC server, which
uses libnice for all the ICE related stuff. While it works great in
general, we reach a wall much sooner than we expect, and performance start
to degrade quite a bit. By doing some digging and diagnostic in the code we
wrote and the one we use, we found out something we thought was weird.

Specifically, we noticed that the internal method that is used to send
packets, nice_agent_send_messages_nonblocking (which nice_agent_send itself
uses internally) has a lot of code wrapped in an
agent_lock()/agent_unlock(), which locks/unlocks a global mutex, and this
includes the process of physiclly sending the packet. This means that the
whole library is locked until that code is called, which seems overkill. I
guess the same happens in other parts of the code as well. I'd understand
locking the specific agent if the purpose is thread-safety, but why lock
ALL agents at the same time for each packet you send? I tried searching the
archives for some info on that, but couldn't find any discussion related to
this choice.

Since I'm already handling thread-safety for most stuff in my own code, is
there any way for preventing this from happening? I guess that one possible
way could be to retrieve the file descriptor from the agent object and send
the packet manually myself, but while this may work in simple
(host/prflx/srflx) connectivity, this would definitely not be the case
when, for instance, TURN is involved, as that's one of the things the
library would take care of for me.

Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks!
Lorenzo