[libnice] Invalid candidate foundation string?

Juan Navarro juan.navarro at gmx.es
Mon Jun 19 23:38:10 UTC 2017

I think that generating invalid data as a means of indicating an
internal condition is always wrong, regardless of what is the intention
of that indication...

The RFC indicates that the foundation of a new peer-reflexive candidate
"[...] is set to an arbitrary value, different from the foundation for
all other remote candidates". No doubt that using invalid characters is
an effective way to achieve this, but it seems to me that the spec
wasn't thinking on this technique when they wrote it.

Maybe choosing something like "remote/%u", and then traversing the
currently known remote candidates to ensure that it wasn't already
registered?

In my case, the wrong candidate arrives from the signal
"new-selected-pair-full", which in my opinion is totally fine and not
only for debugging purposes but as part of the normal expected operation
of the library. However, this signal comes with invalid data. As I
understand it, this signal exists to inform the application of how a new
candidate pair has been nominated and selected, and it should carry
valid information at all times.

If the decision about using these invalid foundation strings is firm,
then I would request that the documentation explains this design
decision, and user applications will have to use an extended version of
the expected BNF to account for the character '-'.