[Nouveau] G80

Wladimir van der Laan laanwj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 09:34:36 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I'd like to help on finding out more details about the G8x hardware
from NVidia, especially given these cards have more functionality than
your average GPU: with CUDA (
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html ) it is possible to use
them as compute devices.

This makes me very interested in their low level capabilities, like
microcode/shader specifications, and maybe even how to drive them
without the NVidia binary driver blob. It seems the hardware has a lot
more possibilities than the current libraries expose, for various
reasons.

To do this, I'd like to intercept communications between libcuda.so
and the /dev/nvidia* devices, and /dev/nvidiactl. Is this what the
Noveau developers have been doing already for GL? (I'm new to this)

Also, as more people are working on it according to TiNDC #21, can I
find the things that are already known somewhere?

--
Wladimir
Ogre3D Team (http://www.ogre3d.org)