[Nouveau] [BUG/PATCH] x86 mmiotrace: dynamically disable non-boot CPUs

Ingo Molnar mingo at elte.hu
Wed Apr 16 11:32:58 PDT 2008

* Pekka Paalanen <pq at iki.fi> wrote:

> > yeah - it looks complex. Not a showstopper for now :-)
> >
> > but given that Xorg is usually just a single task, do we _really_
> > need this?
>
> We're not tracing Xorg at all. Mmiotrace still cannot catch accesses
> originating in user space. It is tracing MMIO accesses from within the
> kernel, and this means that IRQ services and device syscalls may be
> accessing the hardware at the same time. Vblank interrupts happen
> quite often, some GPU commands are actually emulated in kernel via
> interrupts and whatnot. [...]

ok, understood - i forgot about IRQ generated GPU accesses. In fact UP
probably generates a more readable trace because DRM accesses from one
CPU are not mixed up with IRQ completion from another CPU.

So i think we need to fix your automatic-cpudown/cpuup patch. I tried
that and it worked very intuitively and the cpus were disabled/enabled
without any trouble - with ftrace based mmiotrace we now basically have
something that most distros could enable by default without thinking
twice about it.

But if it means an UP kernel has to be used then it will be turned off
immediately and the barrier to users will be huge again. I really
envision mmiotrace to be usable by default on _any_ generic distro,
without rebooting and without any hassle on the user's part.

the automatic drop-to-single-CPU-when-tracing solution from you is OK -
it will also test our CPU hotplug primitives some more ;-) And it's not
like users expect a mmiotraced X session to be particularly fast, right?

so lets fix those preemptability bugs. They show that the
cpu-up/cpu-down ops are called from atomic context - it should normally
be straightforward to sort out - there's no particular reason why the
->open()/->close() methods of an ftrace plugin should run in atomic
context. Steve, any ideas where the atomicity might come from?

	Ingo