[Nouveau] NV50: xv fullscreen issues

Ben Skeggs skeggsb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 15:25:59 PST 2008

On 12/26/08, Daniel Eklöf <daniel at ekloef.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying out nouveau for a while now and I must say I'm impressed.
> Performance in KDE4 in general seems better than the nvidia blob; way to go!
>
> There are a couple of annoyances though:
>
> XV in fullscreen doesn't work. I'm running in composite mode, and non
> fullscreen video works well enough. Going fullscreen in e.g gmplayer gives
> me:
>
> [ws] Error in display. -0.005 ct: -0.000  25/ 25 30% 23%  0.8% 3 6
>
> [ws]  Error code: 8 ( BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) )
>
> [ws]  Request code: 140
>
> [ws]  Minor code: 19
>
> [ws]  Modules: flip_page
>
> xine crashes in a similar way. mplayer (non GUI version) doesn't crash, but
> all I get is a black screen with "BadMatch" errors spamming the console.
>
> The BadMatch is from nv50_xv.c:54
>
>        if (exaGetPixmapOffset(ppix) < pNv->EXADriverPtr->offScreenBase)
>                 return FALSE;
>
> commenting out those lines stops the players from crashing, but I still get
> just a black screen.
I'm typing this from a mobile phone so answers will be brief sorry!
Your composite manager is probably unredirecting fullscreen windows.
We can't currently render directly to the scanout buffer with the 3D
engine, which is what the above code checks for.

> After having crashed gmplayer (with the code lines above re-enabled), I also
> notice that screen updates are a bit shaky - sometimes the screen isn't
> updated until I press a key or move the mouse (e.g. typing 'ls' doesn't list
> any files until I press another key, web pages aren't displayed until I move
> the mouse and so on). At this point, I sometimes also see an unusually high
> CPU load from X (around 75%). Sometimes X freezes, sometimes not.
I don't see this on my systems, but i'll look into it when i'm back in action.

> One more odd thing is that I don't get any interrupts on the NV50 during
> "normal use" (as reported by /proc/interrupts). I sometimes get an interrupt
> storm when starting X, then nothing. I sometimes see a number of interrupts
> after having crashed gmplayer when trying to play a video fullscreen. But
> other than that, no interrupts what so ever.
Completely normal, we don't currently make use of interrupts from the
gpu save for error reporting.