[Nouveau] Patch to fix latest mesa git undefined symbol

Joel R. Voss jvoss at altsci.com
Fri Feb 15 08:29:48 PST 2008

Hello,

I decided to try nouveau tonight and I followed the install instructions. 2D
worked fine (a bit slower than nv/vesa), so I tried out 3D. I was able to get
glxgears to work (1000 fps on my nv15) only after I patched the mesa driver.
Attached is the patch to nouveau_screen.c that adds a stub to resolve the
undefined symbol that all GL programs threw. I discussed it briefly with
herve who suggested I write the stub. A full implementation of the function
can be found in src/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/intel_screen.c. It's beyond my
current code expertise to know if it can be copypasted. I would appreciate
comments or questions on why this patch is needed.

Also, if you still get "Direct Rendering: No" after applying the patch, here
is a way to debug more:
export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose
mesa-git/progs/xdemos/glxinfo
It will tell you why Direct Rendering failed.

I like the project and I hope to work on 3D a bit with my nv15 and nv43.
There's a lot of sample mesa programs that work partially or not at all. I
appreciate all the hard work the team has put into this. Making 3D work for
brave testers is a great cause in my opinion.

Regards,
Joel R. Voss
http://AltSci.com