[Nouveau] Nouveau on GeForce 7950GTX (NV49)

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Wed Jun 4 18:44:21 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I just finished installing the current git of the nouveau driver for
my NV49 based 7950GTX.  I attempted this because I've been continually
frustrated by the constantly degrading 2D performance of X under the
nvidia and nv drivers.  Webpages that do any kind of compositing in
Mozilla will burn CPU all day long.

I'm happy to say that I'm writing because I didn't have any problems.
Installation per the wiki was easy and sensible against the current
git of Linus's 2.6 kernel branch and the current mesa drm.  Xv is the
only other thing I might possibly care about, and it's working well
too.

The performance is great compared to the alternatives!  Thanks!

In the wiki, I noticed that the Debian installation instructions are
considered out of date.  Why is this?  Everything in them is accurate
for contemporary Debian, modulo one minor detail.

If it's merely endorsement, I'm pretty Debian saavy and willing to
vouch for their accuracy.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us