[Nouveau] GSOC '08 hardware accelerated video decoding

Garnet MacPhee garnet at signalpeak.net
Thu Mar 20 17:25:54 PDT 2008

Hi, I am one of those who doesn't care about 3D, but I would very much like to have a fast 2d driver to replace the nvidia
closed-source one. My primary requirement is the ability to play 1080i video (HDTV). I am doing this now with the nvidia
driver with good results. My hardware is a 6200A video card (NV4A), a DVI-D monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, and a 3ghz
Pentium 4 cpu. I can achieve good results with just the blitter, and I do not have XvMC turned on.

Here is the mplayer control statement I use: mplayer dvb:// -ao alsa -vo xv:port=387 -fs

The nouveau driver is much too slow to play 1080i video, no matter which adapter is used.

Good luck with the project. I may be able to help a little with testing, but I do not have the knowledge necessary to
contribute to the coding.

Garnet