[Nouveau] How to set a different resolution?

Calvin Walton calvin.walton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 08:16:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 15:06 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
> > Michael Kreitzer schrieb:
> >> Tomasz,
> >>
> >> It sounds to me like what may be happening is the video card is doing the
> >> scaling instead of the monitor.  This is evidenced by the fact that the
> >> resolution does change, but the LCD still sees the native resolution coming
> >> in. This shouldn't affect dual head, however.
> There should be a SCALING_MODE property, which can be set to
> "fullscreen", the default however (iirc) is "aspect" scaling which may
> leave top or bottom bars (but not both).

To tell the graphics card not to scale, and leave it to the monitor,
you'll want to run the following command:

xrandr --output DVI-I-0 --set SCALING_MODE panel

(replace DVI-I-0 with your actual output name - run xrandr with no
options if you're not sure)

That will cause the card to output the actual resolution you requested,
instead of scaling it to your monitor native resolution.

I'm not sure if there is some way to set this as the default, perhaps an
option in the xorg.conf?

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton at gmail.com>