[Nouveau] Put acpi/backlight code into kernel

schmirrwurst at googlemail.com schmirrwurst at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 22 11:34:28 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to bring devs to support for backlight on nv50 cards for above 1
year, without any success
A lot of laptop (from mac, hp, samsung) doesn't have laptop_panel in hal, and
therefore no support for acpi/backlight..., and no entry in /proc/acpi/video
nor /sys/class/backlight

Kernel team is not reacting, hal team won't fix, devicekit need standardise
i/o...

I've tried nouveau, the acpi/backlight support works pretty well, but the
driver itself is unusable for lambda users, it needs some times...
So I'm asking if someone could put the backlight code in a kernel module, or
in the kernel itself, for people to have backlight support even when using
nvidia driver or nv, or vesa... ???