[Nouveau] concern about bo "pinned'ness" after gem pushbuf is done

Ben Skeggs skeggsb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:00:33 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 01:21 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> As far as i see, we reserve the bo in the gem pushbuf ioctl, and
> unreserve after the pushbuf and the fence have been emitted. This
> assumption holds if bo moves happen on the same channel or if a cpu
> copy happens and we're waiting on fences. But for nv50 it is very
> common for the bo move to happen on the kernel fifo, which does not
> guarantee anything. Is there any safety i missed?
Hm, access by another channel after the move will definitely be
protected as we emit a fence for the move operation.

However, I think we may need to wait ourselves if the buffer move is
going to happen on a channel other than whatever used it last.  TTM
doesn't do this anymore I believe (the old ttm used to).

Ben.