[Nouveau] Debugging help needed

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Sat Aug 29 14:07:50 PDT 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:08:13 +0200
Anders Eriksson <aeriksson at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I once had nouveau working and stable back whem 2.6.29 was released.

That would be before we used a real memory manger, IIRC.

> Nowadays, it hangs within less tahn an hours work. The symptom is that
> the mouse moves, but no other updates to the screen. The machine is
> otherwise working mostly ok so I can ssh to it. The "issue" I have is
> that there is nothing interesting (afaict) in any log. Nothing in
> Xog.0.log, nothing in dmesg.
>
> The one intersting thing I've noticed is that with drm debuging on I get
> a ton of these on dmesg:
>
> host [drm:drm_ioctl], pid=2391, cmd=0x40086485, nr=0x85, dev 0xe200, auth=1

0x85 = DRM_COMMAND_BASE + 0x45, so this is DRM_NOUVEAU_GEM_CPU_PREP
(include/drm/nouveau_drm.h), i.e. nouveau_gem_ioctl_cpu_prep() in
drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau_gem.c.

> And at, or around the hang, there seem to be a an increase of:
>
> host [drm:drm_ioctl], ret = fffffff5

Okay, so it is spinning there for some reason, returning -11,
i.e. -EAGAIN. Assuming this is the return of the prep call.

That's all I can tell for now. Full kernel logs might help, you
could open a bug report with that.

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/