[Nouveau] missing text and icons with NV25

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 30 12:21:46 PST 2009

On 2009.12.24 04:12, Xavier wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>> I'm using nouveau xf86-video-nouveau 0.0.10_git20091101-1 and
>> nouveau-drm 0.0.15_20091120-1 under Arch Linux with xorg-server
>> 1.7.3.901-1.  My video card is recognized as "nVidia Corporation
>> NV25GL [Quadro4 750 XGL]".
>
> I am not sure there has been a lot of changes for nv25, but 1-2
> months can be a lot in nouveau development. You should try newer
> packages first. Btw arch has up-to-date nouveau packages in testing
> (built for kernel 2.6.32 also in testing). They should move soon but
> you can always try them now.

It looks like some updates just hit, so I now have xf86-video-nouveau
0.0.10_git20091221-1 and nouveau-drm 0.0.15_20091220-1 with kernel26
2.6.32.2-2 and xorg-server 1.7.3.902-1.  Missing icons and fonts, and
some apparent screen corruption as I'm exiting X.

I still have to enable getting newer packages from testing, but these
still give the same problem.  I suppose I could also set up to compile
from git, if necessary to test bleeding edge or specific patches.

>> X starts (with no apparent errors) but it's essentially unusable,
>> since it's missing all the icons on all the panels and toolbars, and
>> no text shows up at all.  For example, I can start an xterm, since I
>> know where the icon is on the panel, and I can type commands, which
>> by the cursor movement seem to be working correctly, but there is no
>> visible text in the term.  Popups (such as right-clicking on the
>> main window) have some clutter/video noise - but no text or icons.
>>  I see no obvious error messages in the log or dmesg.

> If newer packages do not work, you should definitely post dmesg and
> Xorg log. About xorg.conf , if you have a complex one, you could try
> with a minimalistic one first. See
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau or
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau#Configuration

Post here?  As attachments or inline?  (dmesg is just under 500 lines
and Xorg log is just under 400.)

I don't have much of an xorg.conf, but even with the minimal one I get
the same behavior.

Thanks for your help.