[Nouveau] nouveau xorg.conf documentation

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 07:16:05 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get started with nouveau.  I have it compiled, I have it
> installed, but I'm having trouble working out the xorg.conf file.
>
> My system has 3 video cards; one is a single DVI out, two are dual DVI
> out. From the messages in the xorg log files, nouveau expects config for
> DVI-I-0 and DVI-I-1, and so on.  Going from the nvidia blob is not as
> easy as changing nvidia to nouveau; all of the options are different and
> the structure of the file is different.
>
> Can someone who has a working nouveau xorg.conf with multiple cards and
> dual DVI cards please put this on on the wiki?  The wiki is really short
> of info for casual user/developers like me.  My time and knowledge are
> limited so any help I get is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Yan

All randr-1.2+ drivers are incapable of doing the xinerama style
multihead, until someone writes the needed xorg code.

If you want a protocol screen per card, then that should be possible,
minus possible nouveau bugs. Few people actually have a multi card
setup, so a standard config isn't really available.

You can try using this howto
"http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12" and expand it to
two (protocol) screens in your xorg.conf

Maarten.