[Nouveau] git compile failure

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Jan 31 15:52:53 PST 2009

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 06:16:18 -0800
> Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>

>> OK, I've tried that....  No joy.  The problem is that the autogen script
>> doesn't find any of the correct header files.  It's a debian dependency
>> issue.  Even when I edit the source by hand to put in the correct
>> locations, it still fails.  I think I'm wasting a lot of time trying to
>> reverse-engineer the debian deps rather than building nouveau.  Is there
>> a 'getting started' howto for building X?  I only need the very basics
>> for testing nouveau.  Is there some basic basic script that will pull
>> down the tarballs and allow me to install a minimal xorg for testing
>> nouveau?
>>

> Could you provide some basic information, like which Debian you are using
> and which Xorg version you have?
>
> I trust you already saw
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/DebianTips
> and it didn't help?
>
> I asked on IRC, and two Debian users replied saying they don't have the
> problem (unstable+experimental, and Lenny).

OK, I finally got a couple of solid hours to figure out what's going
on.  Seems that the code I got from git assumes that all of the xorg
header files are in the src dir - but they don't get pulled in.  Copying
stuff over just didn't work.  I went ahead fixed all of that to where it
would pull in the header files from the correct dirs for debian lenny.

A git-diff is at http://www.seiner.com/debian-nouveau.diff

Let me know if this is useful.  I can either post it on the wiki or
submit a bug report.

nouveau_drv.so built OK; the man page build crashed with

Making all in man
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/man'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `nouveau. at DRIVER_MAN_SUFFIX@',
needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/man'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau'

--Yan