[Nouveau] Can't build xf86-video-nouveau

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Sat Jul 11 01:44:25 PDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:07:36 +0200 (CEST)
Jaromír Cápík <tavvva at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Hi Maarten, Pekka ...

Seeing your comment "I have libdrm from git installed"...

> I tried to download the latest one 2.4.11 ....
> the same result with lib64drm from the distro repository ...
>
> lib64drm2-2.4.11-1mdv2010.0.x86_64
> lib64drm_intel1-2.4.11-1mdv2010.0.x86_64
> lib64drm_nouveau1-2.4.11-1mdv2010.0.x86_64
> lib64drm_radeon1-2.4.11-1mdv2010.0.x86_64

Have you all these still installed? Have them removed, please.
Is there a package lib64drm, since there is a lib64drm2? Remove them all.
libdrm 2.4.11 is too old, there is no released libdrm that is recent enough.

> I am still getting the same error:
>
>    (EE) NOUVEAU(0): [drm] wrong version, expecting 0.0.12

Apparently Maarten is right, and the libdrm you are using with
xf86-video-nouveau is an ancient version. The version number refers to
libdrm 2.4.11 or earlier.

I think you need to start clean: hunt down and remove all files related
to libdrm, xf86-video-nouveau and drm.ko, ttm.ko and nouveau.ko.
Then follow InstallNouveau instructions to the point.

> I downloaded the stuff from these locations:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~pq/nouveau-drm/master-compat.tar.gz

You may want to keep this package and not download again yet,
some cards (nv20 family at least) have problems with the latest.

> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm

You don't need to clone these again, just 'make distclean', and start
from autogen or configure step.

> I already solved some problems with directories
> (like copying the modules and libs from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib64)
> but as I unfortunately have no overview about this project
> it's hard for me to do any troubleshooting in this area ...

The manual copying probably breaks things, because pkg-config still
assumes the headers and libs are found in /usr/local, not /usr. Or maybe
you have headers in both places?

This copying will not be needed if you use --prefix as instructed when
compiling libdrm. If you hit an error due to using --prefix, we have
seen it before, and I never really found out why it is, I never hit it.
I'm waiting for someone to diagnose it. Seems to depend on one's
distribution.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Pekka Paalanen