[Nouveau] [Nouveau-cvs] xf86-video-nv: Branch 'master' - 2 commits

Ben Skeggs skeggsb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 03:53:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 12:00 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> I just realised that this mode of tiling is quite different from the
> one i observed, this one is linear inside the tile, not recursively
> tiled.
Ah right, yeah, I should've mentioned that earlier.  The GPU deals with
all the weirdness, and it becomes regular old tiling from the CPU's
point of view.

> Also, one optimisation that you can do without fixing the xserver
> (which should be done anyway), is to set pread and pwrite to the
> linear passthrough functions if none of the currently prepared pixmaps
> are tiled.
Yup, that thought occurred to me, didn't get around to it yet though.  I
took a bit of a look at what's required to fix things server-side too,
and it's not going to be even remotely straight-forward.  There's even
cases where the accessors get called on buffers that haven't had
setupWrap called on them etc.. It looks like quite a rewrite of the fb
layer (and I'm not even sure pixman's quite up to the task, but didn't
spend too much time looking there yet) would be in order..

Ben.