[Nouveau] Introduction and discussion - Nouveau for Ubuntu Lucid

Steve Conklin steve.conklin at canonical.com
Sat Nov 21 19:33:33 PST 2009

Hi,

  I've been following the list for a short while and scanned the archive.
Apologies for missing any answers that were in the archive.

  I'm the Ubuntu kernel team member focusing on graphics during the Ubuntu
Lucid Lynx (10.4) cycle. At the Ubuntu developer summit last week, we made
the decision to include Nouveau in the Lucid kernel.  I'd like to open a few
topics for discussion with the Nouveau community:

First, I want to make sure we're pulling from the repo you prefer for delivery
with the distro. I've seen the information here -
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage#Source and here -
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2009-March/002765.html

and I haven't been able to find a tree that's indicated for release to upstream
or distros. Is the master branch on the freedesktop repo the best place to
pull from?

Second, I expect that we'll have one or two calls for testing. I welcome discussions
about any particular functionality or hardware that the Nouveau community would
like testing coverage on, and any preferred tools for testing. Ubuntu testing
results and bugs are open, and there are some tagging and processing tools
that I can use to help get these back to the Nouveau community in ways that will
be helpful.

Third, we have a good facility to capture logs and useful information after oopses,
crashes, and when bugs are filed. If there's any information that's useful to
the Nouveau developers that's not part of the normal kernel logs, I'll make
sure we gather them - just let me know what you need.

Last, what else have I missed that I should know about?

Thanks,

Steve Conklin
steve.conklin at canonical.com
irc: sconklin