[Nouveau] X freezes with nouveau/G70

Bruce Drake bmdrake919 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 06:05:34 PST 2009

Greetings,

Ever since the nouveau driver arrived in the Fedora distribution, I have not been able to use (or boot) my system without booting in run level 3 and loading nVidia's proprietary drivers first.  With the shipped drivers in Fedora 10 and 11, regardless of how I start X, I get the animated cursor first, then random data spews across the screen and I lose the keyboard (but mouse still moves), requiring a hard reset to recover.

Now, with the release of Fedora 12, the proprietary driver won't work now (according to RedHat).  However, the only option that leaves me is to boot up with no graphics or just the vesa driver.

I have a G70 [GeForce 7800 GT] (rev a1) card that works fine (actually 2 cards that work fine).  Is there something I can do to make this card work, or otherwise assist in making it work?  Is there something odd about this card that requires special handling?  Let me know what I can provide to you to help.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Bruce